From: Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] proposed solution to arches/stable problem
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 16:29:34
1 foser wrote: [Tue Jun 22 2004, 11:38:32AM EDT]
2 > As discussed on IRC, I think this is still overcomplicating the matter.
3 > The 'package maintainer' should be responsible for the overall health of
4 > a package, not an arch maintainer who just was eager to go stable.
5
6 For the most part, I agree with you. I have seen cases where an arch
7 jumps ahead for good reasons, but that is not always the case. (And
8 when an arch jumps ahead, there should be dialog with the maintainer.)
9
10 > The simplest & best solution is just to always wait for the 'maintainers
11 > arch' to go stable in normal circumstances, the 'maintainers arch'
12 > should be marked as such in the ebuild somehow instead.
13
14 You're right. This is actually the same as my proposal for a "stable"
15 keyword, just coded differently in the ebuild, and probably saner in
16 the long run. In particular it doesn't require sprinkling a new
17 keyword into all the ebuilds. We're already most of the way to this
18 solution.
19
20 Q: How do we mark the maintainer's arch?
21
22 A: Make the first arch in KEYWORDS always be the maintainer's arch.
23 This is probably the case already in most ebuilds, so there's
24 almost no transition involved.
25
26 > I think keeping it simple will avoid confusion and always leave the
27 > overall package responsibility to the herd, as it should be.
28
29 I agree. As mentioned, I think there are exceptions. But they should
30 be treated as such, and the general rule should be to following the
31 maintainer's lead.
32
33 Regards,
34 Aron