From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Automagic pax-mark
Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2013 00:07:27
1 On 04/07/2013 07:01 PM, Tom Wijsman wrote:
2 > On Sun, 07 Apr 2013 18:08:41 -0400
3 > "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> I can try to get the user.pax on tmpfs patch into the Linux tree. At
6 >> the very least, we can get it into gentoo-sources.
7 > What does this patch do? I haven't been following this discussion;
8 > also, please CC kernel@g.o when you report this so we can track.
9 >
10 > On a side note, stabilization in the 3.8 branch is not far away; I am
11 > expecting this to happen somewhere in the second half of this month. If
12 > you want the patch to be present in the stabilized 3.8 branch kernel, it
13 > would be nice to have the patch before then.
14 >
15 Currently tmpfs only supports XATTR_SECURITY and XATTR_TRUSTED
16 namespaces. Take a look at mm/shmem.c, particularly
17 shmem_xattr_validate() around line 2112. But we're putting XATTR_PAX
18 markings in the user namespace, actually a subspace of it, "user.pax".
19 Since we need to preserve XATTR_PAX flags as portage moves stuff around,
20 we need to expand the allowed xattr namespace for tmpfs. That's what
21 this patch does.
22
23 I originally wanted in gentoo-sources, but there was concern --- I
24 forget who. Pushing it upstream may be hard because upstream doesn't
25 respect PaX. I can still try.
28 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
29 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
30 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
31 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
32 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA