From: "C. Bergström" <cbergstrom@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>, Alex Xu <alex_y_xu@×××××.ca>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: LTO use in the tree
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2014 11:42:14
1 On 04/27/14 06:23 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sat, Apr 26, 2014 at 10:37 PM, "C. Bergström"
3 > <cbergstrom@×××××××××.com> wrote:
4 >> #2 The only reference to anything which the compiler could impact is
5 >> "Use Boyer-Moore (and unroll its inner loop a few times)." Finding out which
6 >> flag controls that for ${CC} would have some importance. It's almost
7 >> certainly combined with -O3 and or some standalone loop related
8 >> optimization. (Nothing depending on LTO). If they were really clever or
9 >> determined - there's probably a few GCC or other pragma which could give a
10 >> hint about unrolling.
11 > So, I'll certainly agree that package-specific CFLAG tuning will
12 > always be superior to just setting some flag at the system level and
13 > walking away.
14 >
15 > And yet, in the same paragraph you mention -O3, which is tantamount to
16 > just setting a flag and walking away. That turns on 14 things you
17 > probably don't really need.
18 I was trying to give a simplified example... no need to nitpick my reply
19 (Every compiler defines -O3 differently and even the flag to unroll
20 loops and that threshold may be different.. ...)
21 >
22 > I run -flto at the system level since in my experience it only causes
23 > problems with a handful of packages, and when it does provide a
24 > benefit I get it.
25 Can you name a single package that you use which receives a measurable
26 benefit from LTO? (Just asking)
27
28 I don't disagree about enabling it, filing bug reports or many other
29 things. I'm just curious if you have any hard numbers... (You seem
30 passionate and sorry if this seems like I'm putting you on the spot)
31
32 /*
33 Side note
34 IPA (aka whole program and LTO) is by far the hardest optimizations I've
35 ever personally had to debug/engineer/tune in a compiler. Making it
36 robust needs passionate users who file good reduced test cases. While
37 for a single source you have creduce or delta - what options are there
38 for automated reduction of whole program problems..
39 */