From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 36: providing both CVS and Subversion?
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 18:31:43
1 On Sunday 10 April 2005 18:39, Aaron Walker wrote:
2 > Regarding GLEP 36[1], solar has asked me to try and figure out a way to
3 > provide both CVS and Subversion for one repository and keep them sync'd
4 > somehow.
5 >
6 > Although this was not the intention of my glep, it would be nice to get
7 > this implemented, as it means all developers of a certain project would not
8 > be forced to use one over the other.
9 >
10 > Unfortunately, I have almost zero experience with repository administration
11 > (CVS or Subversion), so I'm writing this with hopes that some of you guys
12 > have some ideas.
13 >
14 > The only idea I've had is to maybe setup post-commit hooks for both that
15 > commit what was just committed to the other (cvs post-commit commits the
16 > stuff to svn and vice versa). Is this possible?
17
18 Not really. It is not that hard to go from subversion to cvs. The other way
19 around however will loose information. This is because cvs is not changeset
20 but file based. So if you would like to put sets of changes as one changeset
21 into subversion (in a way that somehow you don't loose information on the
22 identity of the committer) you would need to collect commits, run heuristics
23 on whether they belong together etc. All in all a messy business.
24
25 Paul
28 Paul de Vrieze
29 Gentoo Developer