From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: making sysvinit optional
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2019 16:11:52
1 On 7/11/19 11:43 AM, William Hubbs wrote:
2 >>
3 >> then by default, OpenRC will pull in sys-apps/sysvinit, and use its
4 >> implementations of init/shutdown. Then later if someone wants to get rid
5 >> of sys-apps/sysvinit, he has the option to uninstall sys-apps/sysvinit
6 >> and then re-emerge OpenRC with USE=sysv-utils.
7 >
8 > Sort of, but not quite. OpenRC doesn't really have an rdepend on
9 > sysvinit at all; it is the other way around. /etc/inittab is part of
10 > sysvinit, not openrc and this is how openrc and sysvinit are used
11 > together. It could be argued that our sysvinit package should have the
12 > rdepend on openrc.
13
14 Indeed, the fact that sys-apps/sysvinit installs an inittab that
15 references /sbin/openrc without depending on sys-apps/openrc already
16 looks very wrong to me.
17
18 Perhaps OpenRC should install its own inittab when USE=sysv-utils is
19 set, and when it blocks installation of sys-apps/sysvinit? In any case,
20 it's obvious that there's a pre-existing mess to be dealt with here and
21 that things aren't as clear-cut as I thought.