From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Build dependencies and upgrades.
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 14:11:31
1 On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 7:27 PM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
2 > That's probably why there's no mention in the docs other than the portage
3 > manpage.  Now that we have swift back, he's applying some much needed
4 > attention to the docs tree and its coming back into shape. =:^)
5
6 I definitely agree that the docs probably need a little improvement.
7
8 Our docs should suggest to users the safest behavior for somebody who
9 doesn't know what they're doing. That is, the behavior that leads to
10 the fewest bug reports or list posts or general complaints. By all
11 means give them less safe alternatives with some educational material
12 (we empower our users). However, the first thing presented should be
13 the safest default behavior.
14
15 That leads me to another concern. The defaults should be the safe
16 options, and the options should be to make the actions less safe.
17
18 In my thinking the most conservative options right now are either
19 emerge -uDN world or emerge -uDN --with-bdeps=y world.
20
21 I'd almost prefer to see that -D, -N, and --with-bdeps go away, and
22 that instead we add options like --shallow, --ignoreusechanges, and
23 --without-bdeps be added (ok, those are lousy names but you get the
24 picture). The default without any option should be to do the "right"
25 thing for most people, and specifying an option should be to make the
26 system do something less conservative.
27
28 I just think about Debian where you tell people run "apt-get update"
29 and then "apt-get upgrade" and that is it. Their typical behavior is
30 not specifying anything and you get everything updated. With Gentoo
31 the equivalent is "emerge world" but when you do that you potentially
32 miss a lot of stuff.
33
34 (And I realize the --with-bdeps part of this is debatable.)
35
36 Rich