From: Heinrich Wendel <lanius@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Menu - Summary
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 12:08:47
1 Hi,
2
3 The discussion has become a bit off topic from the original topic, but there
4 came up important questions, let me summarize it a bit:
5
6 1.) There are users that wan't to manage their menus at their own, no problem,
7 just set FEATURES="-menu" (or don't set FEATURES="menu")
8
9 2.) There are ppl that say, the proposed solution is to much work, why not
10 base on the current situation and create a wrapper around the gnome and kde
11 menus. But what will we do if KDE or GNOME changes it menu-system, we have to
12 change ours as well. The proposed solution will be completly independent from
13 KDE and GNOME. I also want to qoute spider:
14
15 "consider that we don't have to provide massive fileupdates, global lists
16 coherent with our tree, but each capable and installed package requires
17 a small change that goes back and forwards with versions without
18 overhead for versionbumps."
19
20 3.) Implementation issues, like icons, we can discuss that later.
21
22 And finally i want to quote seemants post ;)
23
24 "Wow, this thread is just getting silly. For the nay-sayers who just
25 want to "add my own menu entries, thank you" have you actually READ what
26 the proposal was? Did you not see that the thing is optional? Further,
27 did you not see that it will NOT overwrite the application's native menu
28 stuff?
29
30 For the developers who won't go and change their ebuilds -- are you sure
31 you've got the end-user's best interests at heart? Having been part of
32 the distro for damned near 20 months now, "why doesn't gentoo have an
33 automated menu system?" is among the top 10 most frequently asked
34 questions. If you won't switch them, we'll find a developer who will.
35
36 Please, stop this flame rubbish already."
37
38 mfg, Heinrich
41 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list