From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] moving svgalib-1.9.x to stable
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 02:18:41
1 begin quote
2 On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 20:48:17 -0500
3 Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
4
5 > On Wednesday 14 January 2004 16:56, Spider wrote:
6 > > Yes, Will you break already installed things like the careless
7 > > openmotif downgrade?
8 >
9 > the libraries maintain their links so you wont get library not found
10 > errors ... however, in terms of binary compatiblity, it seems that
11 > it's ok here ...
12 >
13 > i cant say that all apps will work 100% but the apps i *did* try
14 > worked just fine ... those include media-video/mplayer,
15 > media-sound/synaesthesia, and a few games ...
16 > what *might* break is that the new svgalib uses /dev/svga to provide
17 > non-root access to svga while the old one required you be root ;)
18 >
19 > > There currently exists no real framework for dealing with this,
20 > > other than to bump all software that depends on the library in
21 > > question with a revision to force a recompile to make it work again
22 > > post-install.
23 >
24 > nope, just an ewarn + revdep-rebuild ... and svgalib (1) doesnt affect
25 > nearly as many apps as say python or openssl and (2) should work
26 > anyways ...
27 >
28 > if this is the only worry people have i'll go ahead and move it to
29 > stable tonight (and then field bugs this weekend :x)
32 Yep, its actually my only real worry. I trust you've already dealt with
33 the other cases, so they won't really be an issue, or if they haven't
34 been found in the time that its been in ~, I doubt they will be common
35 or easy to deal with anyhow. :)
38 //Spider
41 begin .signature
42 This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!
44 end