From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Paludis and Profiles
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 16:24:18
1 Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com> posted
2 20060516225638.GB29839@nightcrawler, excerpted below, on Tue, 16 May 2006
3 15:56:38 -0700:
4
5 > This whole thing seems a bit dumb; it's not that far off from someone
6 > coming along with a non-compliant c compiler, and arguing that they're
7 > still compliant, they just dropped the stupid stuff they didn't like.
8 >
9 > They're still incompatible...
10
11 Interesting you bring that up. There are C standards independent of any
12 individual implementation. A compiler that doesn't comply with those
13 standards is noncompliant, by definition. OTOH, a compiler that doesn't
14 comply with J Random implementation may or may not be standards compliant,
15 because J Random implementation doesn't define the standard.
16
17 The point argued here is that there isn't such an implementation
18 independent standard for a Gentoo package manager. Arguing that the
19 standard is portage is hardly different than arguing that the standard for
20 certain network environments is... Well, let's just say there's a certain
21 anti-trust case going on about it at the moment. How can one possibly
22 write to such a "standard"?
23
24 Now, I'm not saying the current profile proposal is something I support,
25 I'll deal with that in a different reply, but let's be clear, there are
26 standards, and there is portage, and portage does not a standard define.
27 If one is going to argue that a standard must be supported, that standard
28 should exist as more than the code of a single implementation. A standard
29 that doesn't exist as such cannot be a reasonable requirement for
30 support.
35 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
38 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list