From: Marc Schiffbauer <mschiff@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] emerge --binpkg-changed-deps
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2015 20:16:44
1 hi all,
2
3 i find it a bit hard to understand how --binpkg-changed-deps is
4 supposed to work and what implications it has. Moreover I think the
5 man page is not very clear about what it does:
6
7 "--binpkg-changed-deps [ y | n ]
8 Tells emerge to ignore binary packages for which the
9 corresponding ebuild dependencies have changed since the
10 packages were built. In order to help avoid issues with
11 resolving inconsistent dependencies, this option is
12 automatically enabled unless the --usepkgonly option is enabled.
13 Behavior with respect to changed build-time dependencies is
14 controlled by the --with-bdeps option.
15 "
16
17 This looks a bit confusing to me. Am I alone with that?
18
19 If I understand that option right, maybe this text is better?
20
21 --binpkg-changed-deps [ y | n ]
22 When enabled tells emerge to ignore a binary package and do a
23 source build instead if the corresponding ebuild runtime
24 dependencies (RDEPEND) have changed in the portage tree since
25 the package was built.
26
27 To help avoid issues with resolving inconsistent dependencies
28 this option is enabled by default unless using source builds is
29 disabled by the --usepkgonly option.
30
31 If the --with-bdeps option is also enabled, changed build-time
32 dependencies (DEPEND) will be considered instead.
33
34 (Am not 100% sure whether the last sentence is technically correct)
35
36 What do you think?
37
38 -Marc
41 0x35A64134 - 8AAC 5F46 83B4 DB70 8317
42 3723 296C 6CCA 35A6 4134