From: Marc Schiffbauer <mschiff@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] emerge --binpkg-changed-deps
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2015 20:16:44
hi all,

i find it a bit hard to understand how --binpkg-changed-deps is
supposed to work and what implications it has. Moreover I think the
man page is not very clear about what it does:

"--binpkg-changed-deps [ y | n ]
    Tells emerge to ignore binary packages for which the
    corresponding ebuild dependencies have changed since the
    packages were built.  In order to help avoid issues with
    resolving  inconsistent  dependencies,  this  option  is
    automatically enabled unless the --usepkgonly option is enabled.
    Behavior with respect to changed build-time dependencies is
    controlled by the --with-bdeps option.
"

This looks a bit confusing to me. Am I alone with that?

If I understand that option right, maybe this text is better?

--binpkg-changed-deps [ y | n ]
    When enabled tells emerge to ignore a binary package and do a
    source build instead if the corresponding ebuild runtime
    dependencies (RDEPEND) have changed in the portage tree since
    the package was built.

    To help avoid issues with resolving inconsistent dependencies
    this option is enabled by default unless using source builds is
    disabled by the --usepkgonly option.

    If the --with-bdeps option is also enabled, changed build-time
    dependencies (DEPEND) will be considered instead.

(Am not 100% sure whether the last sentence is technically correct)

What do you think?

-Marc

--
0x35A64134 - 8AAC 5F46 83B4 DB70 8317