From: Troy Curtis Jr <troycurtisjr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: chriswhite@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Why you use Gentoo
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 22:03:48
1 On 9/7/06, Chris White <chriswhite@g.o> wrote:
2 > So, wondering why people use Gentoo. Put [dev] or something if you're an
3 > actual gentoo dev and [user] if you're a user. Doesn't need to be fancy, you
4 > can put "community" or something if that's all you want. All responses off
5 > list please. Thanks.
6 > --
7 > Chris White
8 > Gentoo Developer
9 > A+ | MCSE
10 > Mobile: 999-999-9999
11 > Fax: 999-999-9999
12 > Skype: 999-999-9999
13 > Sattelite Phone: 999-999-9999
14 > Home Phone: 999-999-9999
18 [user]
19 I began with Mandrake which I used for a couple of years, but as
20 updates came my machine seemed to get slower and slower (even though
21 the hardware wasn't changing). Then I read about the fact that most
22 distros (included Mandrake) still compiled just about everything for
23 i386, but that Yoper was different.
24
25 So I installed Yoper and I really loved how fast it made my system
26 feel. But the elation faded very quickly as this small project had
27 very few software packages and I had a heck of a time getting sources
28 to compile (dependencies!). So I begin to poke at Linux from Scratch,
29 but I knew that it would be a nightmare to maintain.
30
31 Eventually, I heard about Gentoo, and I haven't looked back (~1.5
32 years). I even suffered (in time) through the install on my pII
33 300MHz machine so I could use if for a router. I toyed with other
34 distros (in multi boot or VMWare sessions) and I just can't find
35 anything that comes close.
36
37 Also as many others have mentioned, the docs are great. I routinely
38 use the gentoo docs to troubleshoot issues with our Red Hat boxes at
39 work.
40
41 So in summary:
42
43 * Optimization
44 * Control
45 * Documentation
46 * The bundled gcc screensaver ;-), as they say on tllts
47
48 Troy
51 "Beware of spyware. If you can, use the Firefox browser." - USA Today
52 Download now at http://getfirefox.com
53 Registered Linux User #354814 ( http://counter.li.org/)
54 --
55 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list