From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: python@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [REVIEW v2 0/2] 2020-09-28-python-2-7-cleanup news item
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2020 09:05:34
1 On Mon, 2020-09-28 at 10:46 +0200, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > > > > > > On Mon, 28 Sep 2020, Michał Górny wrote:
3 > > I've figured out a better solution than changing PYTHON_TARGETS and then
4 > > revbumping the packages to have users upgrade (which may happen before
5 > > they change PYTHON_TARGETS). Instead, I'll revbump these few packages
6 > > and remove Python 2 in new revisions.
7 > > The majority of users will get the py2-less versions on next @world
8 > > upgrade, and the few that need renpy, old mongodb, old kodi... will stay
9 > > at current revision. This involves some temporary duplication
10 > > on version bumps but I don't think this will be major issue.
11 >
12 > Do I understand this right, future version bumps will have two parallel
13 > ebuild revisions (like r0 and r100) with only the lower revision
14 > supporting Python 2.7? Tricky. :)
17 If by 'future', you mean the bumps in the next few weeks, then yes.
18 Though these packages generally don't get frequent releases, so there
19 may be no future releases. Or upstream may just drop py2.
22 Best regards,
23 Michał Górny