From: Alex Xu <alex_y_xu@×××××.ca>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: News item regarding c++98 vs c++11
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2014 23:08:57
1 On 19/10/14 06:53 PM, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
2 > the default is still gnu++98
3
4 what does this mean, how does it differ from c++98?
5
6 > in the older ABI, can lead to a crippled system.
7
8 what do you mean, will other packages break too? maybe "may lead to
9 non-functioning or possibly broken packages". adjust as necessary; I am
10 not familiar with what may break if incompatible libraries are linked
11 together.
12
13 > However, as c++11 gains in popularity and the number of packages using it
14 > increase, it is important that users understand these precautions.
15
16 what precautions? what am I supposed to do? is there a option to warn me
17 if I try to do something stupid? should I check some packages on my system?
18
19 remember that gcc-4.7 is literally all (standard) gentoo users, so a
20 news item needs to be clear about who exactly needs to care about the
21 issue, which here appears to be a small subset of "all (standard) gentoo
22 users"; namely, those who specifically opt in to using C++11 (or are
23 compiling such packages manually).
24
25 also, strictly speaking, last I checked, the name of the standard is
26 C++11; c++11 is just what gcc takes.
27
28 and maybe some links about what could break if I link incompatible
29 libraries together would be helpful, since the links don't seem to go
30 over that (at least apparently; I did not read the entire contents).