From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: qa <qa@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] New QA policy: Packages must not disable installing manpages via USE flags
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2019 14:56:48
1 On Wed, Jul 17, 2019 at 9:25 AM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hello,
4 >
5 > The QA team would like to introduce the following policy:
6 >
7 > """
8 > Packages must not disable installing manpages via USE flags (e.g.
9 > USE=man or USE=doc). If upstream does not ship prebuilt manpages
10 > and building them requires additional dependencies, the maintainer
11 > should build them and ship along with the package.
12 > """
15 > Explanatory note:
16 >
17 > This applies to having USE flags that specifically control building
18 > manpages. It obviously does not affect:
19 >
20 > a. USE flags that disable building both a program and its manpage (e.g.
21 > if USE=gui disables building gfrobnicate, not installing gfrobnicate(1)
22 > is correct),
23 >
24 > b. use of LINGUAS to control installed manpages.
27 > Rationale:
28 >
29 > Manpages are the basic form of user documentation on Gentoo Linux. Not
30 > installing them is harmful to our users. On the other hand, requiring
31 > additional dependencies is inconvenient. Therefore, packaging prebuilt
32 > manpages (whenever upstream doesn't do that already) is a good
33 > compromise that provides user with documentation without additional
34 > dependencies.
37 > What are your comments?
38
39 I'm against this.
40
41 I seriously doubt maintainers will take the time/effort to pre-build
42 and distribute manpages. The end result of this will be additional
43 hard dependencies on heavyweight packages.
44
45 I would prefer to give users the choice NOT to install these heavy
46 packages. If USE=doc is not sufficent, introduce a new flag for it.