From: Wernfried Haas <amne@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Optimizing performance
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 18:15:05
1 On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 09:13:34AM -0500, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > CFQ is much worse for a desktop system. I tend to like deadline for
3 > playing games. These can probably make a bit more difference than a new
4 > -fomg-itsofast-and-broken-math added to CFLAGS.
5
6 That's funny, i switched from default to CFQ on my notebook which has
7 a rather slow disk and it feels much better, especially when
8 recovering from suspend to disk which swaps out a lot. It's possible
9 it decreases overall performance, but it may feel faster sometimes.
10
11 > There was a tip in the GWN about
12 > turning on dir_index on an already formatted file system. If formatting
13 > a new one, just use mkfs.ext2 -J -O dir_index /dev/$whatever to create
14 > your file system.
15
16 Good thing you remind me of that. As a new ext3 convert (i happily
17 used reiser3 for years before), any problems to be expected by doing
18 so? Afaics it turns on B-trees which should have no impact on the
19 safety of my data, right? Just want to make sure, i rather use a
20 slightly slower file system than risking data loss.
21
22 cheers,
23 Wernfried
26 Wernfried Haas (amne) - amne at gentoo dot org
27 Gentoo Forums: http://forums.gentoo.org
28 IRC: #gentoo-forums on freenode - email: forum-mods at gentoo dot org
29 --
30 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list