From: Simon Stelling <blubb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] combining x86 and amd64
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2005 19:28:17
1 Martin Schlemmer wrote:
2 >>I still dont see what practical advantage that would bring to x86/amd64
3 >>users or developers?
7 > Well, I guess the theory might be because then you only have one keyword
8 > and one base profile to manage - I think.
9
10 Having just one keyword won't decrease our (our as in amd64 team) workload, nor
11 will it increase our (our as in amd64 port) QA, it will just be the other way
12 around. What really is confusing me is that mostly sparc/mips-devs want to push
13 us in a direction we absolutely don't like, but we're affected by all effects,
14 not them. And what is even more confusing, is that they make statements like
15
16 "I don't care about x86/amd64"
17
18 > So to be frank, I propose that either the alt-arch devs start explaining
19 > above instead of half-assed answers and senseless ranting, or shut up.
20 > From the amount of _usefull_ comments they have given, it does not look
21 > like its really an issue or priority for them besides having some fun.
22
23 So I'm not the only one feeling assed, fine. I know ABI, but only in the context
24 of multilib. We use it to decide whether something is 32bit or 64bit.
25 As stated above, I can see how x86 will benefit from a merge, but the damage
26 amd64 gets seems far bigger.
29 Simon Stelling
30 Gentoo/AMD64 Operational Co-Lead
31 blubb@g.o