From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFD: EAPI specification in ebuilds
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2012 18:38:10
1 On 03/08/2012 12:53 PM, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 12:48:51 -0500
3 > Michael Orlitzky<michael@××××××××.com> wrote:
4 >> On 03/08/2012 12:28 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
5 >>> And something will need to provide that /usr/bin/eapi4 thing. And
6 >>> that introduces new problems:
7 >>
8 >> I'm just parroting someone else's suggestion; I don't really know
9 >> enough about the details to answer these properly. Not that that will
10 >> stop me.
11 >
12 > It probably should. Although in the early days the model for ebuilds
13 > was that they were scripts that were "executed", nowadays there's so
14 > much support required that it's better to think of ebuilds as being
15 > data. If you did have a /usr/bin/eapi5, it would have to be implemented
16 > as something that invoked the package manager, not as a direct
17 > interpreter.
18
19 Fair enough, but aren't you arguing the opposite point with Zac? If
20 ebuilds are data, fine, we write EAPI=4 somewhere and be done with it.
21 Anything not having that format is out-of-spec.
22
23 If they're code, they're code, and we need to execute them somehow. And
24 the reason for the proposal in the first place was that the way we do it
25 now ain't so great, eh?