From: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Split ELF Debug (defult or not?)
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 21:45:12
1 Ned Ludd wrote:
2 > Good afternoon,
3 >
4 > Would you be willing to give up space in $ROOT/usr/lib/debug for ELF
5 > executables by default in order to aid in better debugging by or do we
6 > want to only emit it when a FEATURE= is defined.
7 >
8 > Having a split debug pretty much obsoletes the need to add nostrip to
9 > your features in order to get debug info.
10 >
11 > Users wishing to not have debug info can simply add
12 > INSTALL_MASK="/usr/lib/debug ${INSTALL_MASK}" to make.conf or the
13 > environment unless we make it FEATURE based.
14 >
15 > I'm in favor of it enabled per default but I'd like to know what you
16 > think and why. (advantages of on/off by default etc..)
19 How useful is this debug information with -fomit-frame-pointer? From
20 what I have read it makes debugging at least harder. I think most people
21 have -fomit-frame-pointer in their CFLAGS so it should not be enabled by
22 default if the debug info is not very useful any way.
23
24 Regards,
25 Petteri