From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Move x86/amd64 CPU extensions USE flags to a new USE_EXPAND variable
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 06:42:42
1 On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 19:01:16 +0000
2 Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 5:57 PM, Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o> wrote:
5 > [snip]
6 >
7 > I agree that this could be better. To me, most of the problems with
8 > this are due to users not knowing which of these should be set for
9 > their particular CPU.
10 >
11 > Instead of having defaults set by a profile, I'd like to figure out a
12 > way we can have these flags set by default dependent on the user's
13 > CPU. This might require some additional logic in portage; I don't
14 > know.
15
16 I think the fewer sources of magic USE flags the better. Maybe we could
17 document how to figure out what instruction sets a processor supports in the
18 handbook instead.
22 fonts, gcc-porting, it makes no sense how it makes no sense
23 toolchain, wxwidgets but i'll take it free anytime
24 @ gentoo.org EFFD 380E 047A 4B51 D2BD C64F 8AA8 8346 F9A4 0662