From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RANT: Upgrade icu and KDE at once
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 17:26:13
1 On Tue, 30 Apr 2013 18:51:06 +0200
2 Jörg Schaible <joerg.schaible@×××.de> wrote:
3
4 > Well, here we go again! Again an update of Gentoo stable where emerge
5 > tries to upgrade icu and KDE in one run (and this time additionally
6 > libreoffice).
7
8 If you don't want that to happen, use package sets and exclusion.
9
10 > Other essential libraries (e.g. libpng) can always be updated,
11 > because the ebuild preserves the old shared libs and let me run
12 > revdep-rebuild against the old ones afterwards.
13
14 I haven't ran revdep-rebuild for a year, you can set
15 FEATURES="preserve-libs" which will preserve any libs, once libs are
16 being preserved you can then get rid of them by doing an `emerge
17 @preserved-rebuild` whenever you feel like as opposed to when
18 something breaks. It's not a default yet, but will probably be so...
19
20 > The ebuild happily removes any trace of the old shared libs with the
21 > result that half of the stuff that is *required* to build kdelibs is
22 > now broken. The build aborts and leaves behind a broken system. And
23 > this happened now not for the first time!
24
25 Packages such as kdelibs are huge for no good reason, either look for
26 lighter alternatives or don't upgrade them often if they bother you.
27
28 > The lengthly procedure is now to hard mask the new icu version,
29 > update your system (incl. automatic icu downgrade, kde and
30 > libreoffice upgrade)
31
32 Why? You shouldn't need to do the downgrade here.
33
34 > Drop the mask and upgrade anything again, run
35 > revdep-rebuild and compile again a lot of big KDE packages (and this
36 > time inclding libreoffice).
37
38 This is why I avoid huge packages where I can.
39
40 > The most annoying fact is, that none of this would have been
41 > necessary with portage 2.2, but maybe we have to wait for 2.1.11.500
42 > before 2.2 gets stable...
43
44 Features and fixes are backported, don't wait for that stabilization.
47 With kind regards,
48
49 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
50 Gentoo Developer
51
52 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
53 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
54 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D