From: Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] metadata.xml: <changepolicies>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 20:53:18
1 Stop.
2
3 Is introduction of such a high level of bureaucracy really a good idea?
4
5 In my eyes it could backfire and make matters worse as people either
6 - start ignoring it due to high noise
7 - reduce people's activity below set permissions
8
9 To summarize presented proposal has a few points that may not work well
10 with humans. To my understanding we have the assumption in Gentoo that
11 a Gentoo dev is at least willing to use his brain most of the time. To
12 me such a machine only makes sense when assuming the opposite(!)
13
14 So I would like to propose a much more loose and simple approach: A
15 distinction
16 - between major and minor changes
17 - need for prior interaction or not
18
19 A sensible default may differ from developer to developer. I propose
20 collecting these defaults somewhere and make it overridable per
21 maintainer per package in metadata.xml (just as robbat2 did).
22
23 One question to decide would be if access is allowed iff
24 - no one is objecting or
25 - everyone is acknowledging
26 Once all defaults are collected the options are equal, before they are not.
27
28 How to best handle herds is not clear to me in detail, yet.
29 Anyone seing potential in this minimalistic with a natural extension on
30 herds in mind?
34 Sebastian