From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 55
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 11:08:49
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 22:09:04 -0600
3 > Joe Peterson <lavajoe@g.o> wrote:
4 >> Debunked according to whom? I believe that some, including you,
5 >> believe you debunked them, but I do not believe there was wholesale
6 >> agreement from the dev community.
7 >
8 > That doesn't really matter. Most of the dev community don't care to
9 > understand the underlying issue, so all they need to do is go along
10 > with the informed decision that the Council was supposed to have made
11 > on their behalf.
14 By that logic (that mere ordinary devs need to be guided by their more
15 informed elected leaders), we're doing EXACTLY what you propose. The
16 informed decision by the Council was to defer the GLEP. As a result the
17 lesser devs are going along with that decision and not implementing it.
18
19 The fact is that most devs probably do care to understand the underlying
20 issues. Many just happen to disagree with you.
21
22 I still haven't seen a good argument as to why the EAPI can't be handled
23 as something like a magic number. Maybe make the first line in the ebuild:
24 #EAPI=foo
25
26 ELF vs A.OUT don't use extensions to identify its files - the original
27 file format was designed to allow file identification from the contents.
28
29 The only issue I can see with putting the EAPI on the first line is with
30 legacy package managers. That could be fixed in a number of ways. The
31 simplest would be just allowing it to break and sending out the fix well
32 in advance of any breakage on GMN. Considering the fiasco that we've
33 had with some GCC/GLIBC upgrades and similar stuff in the past this
34 would be pretty minor. A less pretty solution might be a one-time file
35 extension change.
36
37 There wouldn't be any need to repeat all of this every time the EAPI
38 changes - at that point we've standardized the location of the EAPI
39 within the file.
40 --
41 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list