From: Igor <lanthruster@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Question, Portage QOS v2
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 17:19:08
1 Hello All,
2
3 As there are questions at to what we vote.
4
5 ----------------------------------------------
6
7 Thank you for all our feedback!
8
9 In project like that I can't rush to programming it without
10 everyone's approval. This part of the project should have been
11 implemented with the first portage version by it's creator. But as
12 I'm not this person I'll need the expertise of the whole community.
13
14 Let's agree on following - I'll design the system in details on paper
15 but no code will be produced at this stage.
16
17 When it's ready (~ 1.5 months) I'll get back here and share the design
18 sketches with you.
19
20 Then we all review it again everyone could contribute it's own view
21 and part and help to avoid some design problems if there are.
22
23 I need an agreement on this stage from the list.
24
25 If you consider PortageQOS is not necessary please vote NO.
26 If you consider PortageQOS might have a chance and it depends on
27 implementation say YES.
30 Please vote.
33 If NO there is no need to spend time even on sketches.
34 If YES - there will be a system design ready and we could at least
35 imagine how it might work as a whole and benefits it might bring.
39 PS
40 No way PortageQOS will work without uniform agreement. That thing
41 was missing from portage design from the start and now with the legacy
42 it's either everyone is willing to give it a try or none. I don't want
43 to push somebody to something he doesn't see purpose for. There are
44 people here who spent lots of time on the project and it might be left
45 as is if they don't want any change.
48 Best regards,
49 Igor mailto:lanthruster@×××××.com