From: "Jesús Guerrero" <i92guboj@×××××.es>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Gentoo Support Everywhere
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 21:21:10
1 On Wed, May 20, 2009 22:58, AllenJB wrote:
2 > Jesús Guerrero wrote:
3 >
4 >> Hello,
7 >> This is a request for comments on a new project,
8 >> namely "Gentoo Support Everywhere".
9 >>
10 >> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gse/
13 >> The web page doesn't really explain all the background
14 >> needed to understand why would anyone want to start such a project.
15 >> However this forum thread might be more
16 >> clarifying:
19 >> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-762914.html
22 >> The initial aim is to provide some support to these lost souls
23 >> that wander around the LQ forums, and to create a Gentoo subforum at LQ
24 >> like many other distros do. However, eventually the support might be
25 >> extended to other places if there's a need and enough human power to do
26 >> so.
27 >>
28 >> Comments welcome, and thanks for reading.
32 > After reading everything so far, basically as far as I can see this
33 > project exists solely to provide a capacity for an "official" presence on
34 > LinuxQuestions (and perhaps other sites later). Of the current
35 > membership it appears to be taking up no time.
36 >
37 > However, is an entire standalone project for this necessary? Could this
38 > not just be coordinated as a task of userrel (or perhaps forum moderators,
39 > as suggested earlier)? What purpose does having a standalone project have
40 > over doing this within an existing project?
41
42 I did this just because it was suggested in the forum thread,
43 and it seemed like the way to go. Other ideas might be better
44 for this so I am ready to hear them of course.
45
46 > Specifically in relation to the LQ sub-forum, will the members of the
47 > project be moderating that sub-forum? Or is their task purely to help there
48 > and moderation is left to the LQ moderators?
49
50 We will not be part of the LQ team and we will not be moderating
51 anything there. Easy put, all they want is us to say "hey, we
52 are here and we like that there's a gentoo forum at LQ", some
53 kind of official pronunciation, and a project seemed official
54 enough for me (in fact, more than they ask for).
55
56 > How will you ensure that an official presence is maintained in the long
57 > run? While it's all well and good to say that the current members are
58 > spending their time there anyway, but what happens in 3+ years time when
59 > they move on. As I see it Gentoo is left with a (semi-)official sub-forum
60 > that it created but no longer supports - How will this reflect on Gentoo
61 > as a whole?
62
63 That's another task for a project, isn't it?, to guarantee its own
64 continuity when members leave. If not, the project dies and the LQ
65 support would die as well. That can happen in any project, but if
66 there's a project it's less likely that the idea will die starved
67 forgotten in some dead thread into a forum or something like that.
68 It's my view anyway.
69
70 > Will you be intending to recruit some sort of "official helpers" (who
71 > are probably already active on these forums)? Would they become members of
72 > the project (and thus Gentoo Staffers/Developers)? What privileges would
73 > these project members have within the Gentoo Development sphere?
74
75 LQ do not require any big support on our side. Whoever want to help
76 is welcome to help, but really the amount of gentoo traffic there
77 is not that big, and we can just redirect them to our forum when
78 needed. There's no need for a big staff or something like that, as
79 I already said, even one person would be ok and that's all they ask
80 for.
81
82 It's not like having a second forum there, just some basic attention
83 for those that dive lost in the net for some reason.
86 Jesús Guerrero