From: "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: KDE 3.4 visibility support disabled
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 00:02:06
1 [just to make sure that everybody will hear that]
2
3 On Thursday 26 May 2005 01:37, Duncan wrote:
4 > That isn't going to kill it for gcc-4.0.1-snapshots, right, only gcc-3.4?
5 > I'll be rather unhappy if the speed increases I've been attributing to
6 > that visibility support under gcc4, disappear! =8^(
7 It will be *completely* disabled.
8
9 -fvisibility=hidden *must not* be used if the project isn't supposed to use
10 only its own code without linking to other libraries, as that kills the RTTI
11 stuff.
12
13 It's not a fault in GCC, it's a fault in the way -fvisibility=hidden was used
14 by KDE.
15 KDE 3.5 and 4 will have the right visibility support enabled just for KDE
16 stuff instead of messing around with QT and other libraries which doesn't use
17 that consistently.
18
19 Please note that every try to use -fvisibility=hidden in CFLAGS will result in
20 *great* problems which won't be supported at all.
23 Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò
24 Gentoo Developer (Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, Gentoo/AMD64)
25
26 http://dev.gentoo.org/~flameeyes/