From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Old changelogs / eclass dir
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 18:02:13
1 On 27 October 2011 06:46, Andreas K. Huettel <dilfridge@g.o> wrote:
4 > 2) I'd like to suggest that for changelogs that grow beyond a certain size
5 > (e.g. profiles/ChangeLog)
6 > the file is "rotated" similar to /var/log logfiles. I.e. the current file
7 > is renamed with a date extension and a
8 > new file is started. This has the benefit that the archived file is static
9 > and will never be retransmitted
10 > by rsync.
13 For rotation, an arbitrary line-length offset would not be advisable in my
14 opinion. It would need to split at a logical place like before a "release"
15 entry.
16
17 As for codifying this, applying software to automate splitting changelogs in
18 this manner could be initially challenging as I've seen a few Changelogs
19 with really inconsistent style at the bottom of them.
22 Kent
23
24 perl -e "print substr( \"edrgmaM SPA NOcomil.ic\\@tfrken\", \$_ * 3, 3 )
25 for ( 9,8,0,7,1,6,5,4,3,2 );"