From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: NP-Hardass <NP-Hardass@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EAPI 6 portage is out!
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2015 05:11:14
1 On Tue, 17 Nov 2015 20:20:26 -0500
2 NP-Hardass <NP-Hardass@g.o> wrote:
3
5 > Hash: SHA256
6 >
7 > On Tue, 17 Nov 2015 23:09:34 +0100
8 > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
9 >
10 > > Fellow Developers!
11 > >
12 > > I have the pleasure to announce that portage-2.2.25 has just been
13 > > committed and it comes with complete EAPI 6 support. This effectively
14 > > means that from this moment forward Gentoo developers are permitted to
15 > > commit EAPI 6 ebuilds to ~arch.
16 > >
17 > > Some quick notes:
18 > >
19 > > 1. Remember that you can't stabilize ebuilds using EAPI 6. Therefore,
20 > > if you go for EAPI 6, you ebuild may be forced to stay ~arch for quite
21 > > a while.
22 > >
23 > > 2. The Portage implementation needs more testing and can be buggy.
24 > > Write ebuilds according to the spec, not Portage behavior or they will
25 > > fail.
26 > >
27 > > 2a. It just occurred to me that Portage does not fail when eapply_user
28 > > is not called. This is a bug, so make sure to call it or
29 > > default_src_prepare.
30 > >
31 > > 3. EAPI 6 is not a drop-in replacement for EAPI 5. Study it to use it
32 > > efficiently. Use it as an opportunity to improve the API of your
33 > > eclasses.
34 > >
35 > > 4. I've written an extensive guide [1] with some explanations
36 > > and rationale for many of the features. Consider it a must-read.
37 > >
38 > > 4a. We need someone to update the devmanual.
39 > >
40 > > [1]:https://blogs.gentoo.org/mgorny/2015/11/13/the-ultimate-guide-to-eapi-6/
43 > I just read your guide. What's the recommended manner to upgrade an
44 > ebuild from the autotools-utils eclass? General advice would be
45 > preferred, but I'm specifically looking at app-emulation/wine.
46
47 Basically you replace autotools-utils with default phase functions
48 and/or econf "${myeconfargs[@]}" or alike. In case of wine, the only
49 usage seems to be 'autotools-utils_src_prepare' which goes straight to
50 'default'.
51
52 For 9999, you also 'inherit autotools' and run eautoreconf explicitly.
55 Best regards,
56 Michał Górny
57 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>