From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: Accessibility on our release media
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 02:53:19
1 William Hubbs wrote:
2 > On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 08:12:17PM -0500, Dale wrote:
3 > > Ferris McCormick wrote:
4 > >> If the 20MB is a real problem, I think the alternative is to have two
5 > >> versions of the "minimal CD". Otherwise it seems to me that Gentoo is
6 > >> discriminating against people who cannot see the screen, and I would
7 > >> consider that to be very tacky at best.
8 > >>
9 > >> Someone (rdalek1967) said the problem was an extra 2.5 hours time for
10 > >> download over dialup. If that is correct, we are looking at 12.5 hours
11 > >> instead of 10 hours (about 25% increase, but 10 hours is a long time,
12 > >> and I don't know that 12.5 hours is subjectively that much longer).
13 > >>
14 > >> So, to answer William's original question, one way or another we should
15 > >> provide a minimal CD with the speech software on it in my opinion.
16 >
17 > Keep in mind that if we produce a separate cd with the speech software,
18 > that means yet another cd for each architecture that we know the speech
19 > software runs on, so I think the better route would be to just put it on
20 > all of our media that we produce for the affected architectures instead
21 > of asking releng to produce a separate cd for each release or autobuild.
25 I agree. I think it is a good idea regardless of if it is a separate CD
26 or not. If the people that does this wants to make it a separate CD,
27 that's cool too. Otherwise, just add it to the CD that we already have.
28
29 Dale
30