From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] LFS QA warnings coming soon to a build near you
Date: Sun, 31 May 2015 15:59:14
1 On Sat, May 30, 2015 at 2:54 PM, Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
2 > we've got a new QA check that warns whenever a package is built using a 32bit
3 > filesystem interface. in practice, this applies to arm/mips/ppc/sh/x86 systems
4 > (not including multilib -- for now).
5 >
6 > this topic has come up in Gentoo a few times over the years but we've never
7 > really amassed the will power to fix it. instead we fix it in one-offs based
8 > on user reports (like "can't download 4GiB file with ftp" #101038). this was
9 > worked well enough because most users have moved on to 64bit systems and the
10 > interaction with >2GiB files tends to correlate with a few packages.
11 >
12 > however, "recent" winds have started blowing where file systems are utilizing
13 > 64bit inodes to handle large file counts. this means apps that do even basic
14 > things like stat() will now fail. the number of applications that this affects
15 > is significantly higher, although still relegated to systems that happen to use
16 > a file system with 64bit inodes.
17
18 Does this issue affect software that only reads/writes small files and
19 never calls stat? For example, pkg-config.
20
21 It might still be nice to adjust such packages for consistency, but it
22 might be harder to justify patches to upstream developers.