From: Denis Shcherbakov <deniss@×××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] (no subject)
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 23:04:11
1 Hello...
2
3 Finally a distribution tailored to each user's own preferences!! I have
4 been using Redhat for a while, and I have recently tried SuSE. Frankly,
5 while SuSE was a lot friendlier to install, there are too many bells and
6 whistles that get in the way for a scientist or an engineer. It is very
7 difficult to compile an optimized late version of kernel on these systems
8 because these systems are built to account for just about any kind of
9 hardware, which makes it a semi-black box.
10
11 I really appreciate Gentoo's philosophy on optimization and customization
12 with respect to EVERY user and his/her system. I am a semi-beginner.
13 I've used Linux for about 2-3 years for science/engineering purposes, and
14 while I am by no means an advanced user, I usually find my way around
15 Linux alright... I've done some configs and customizations, compiled
16 kernels multiple times... And always I've run into the same problem...
17 Too much stuff that I don't want on my system and yet can't safely remove
18 without expert knowledge.
19
20 This is my second day of getting to know your distro, and already I think
21 it's the coolest one I've run into so far!! By a lot of aspects... I've
22 always thought that only the things you work hard to get will bring a
23 great pay-off. So far, it seemed like most Linux distros have been too
24 easy to get up and running :))
25
26 I am a beginning computational scientist in Chemical Engineering, and
27 while most people in my department here at Princeton University are stuck
28 with Windows, I seem to be one of the few going the "hard way" but seeing
29 a much greater pay-off in the future. I've learned from scratch about
30 computer hardware and Linux systems, and as little as school work has
31 allowed me to continue my learning of those things (being a chemical
32 engineer rather than a computer scientist), I think I am fairly content
33 with where I am... I REALLY have a lot of respect and appreciation for
34 Linux developers, especially with a philosophy such as yours at Gentoo.
35 Maybe if I get rich, I'll be sure to remember Linux community :))
38 Now, your releases of Gentoo seemed to not be very far apart in time, so
39 I am anticipating a new release of Gentoo soon... Am I correct in that
40 expectation? Could you tell me APPROXIMATELY when you are planning to get
41 the new version of Gentoo out to the public?
42
43 Many thanks,
44 Denis
45