From: Alex Legler <a3li@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Why do packages which will not build remain in the distribution list?
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 12:11:24
1 On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 06:58:48 -0500, Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
2 wrote:
3
4 > [...]
5 > So a build error might not reflect a
6 > problem with the package you're trying to build.
7
8 This is the case here.
9 Some packages install broken pkg-config files (missing a Name: field)
10 which will cause pkg-config --list-all to fail when encountering such
11 a package. That in turn also makes the Ruby pkg-config library fail
12 which is used in the configure step.
13
14 We already have filed some bugs against these broken packages. Now we
15 have to wait until all are fixed, or find a way to make pkg-config more
16 resistant to such errors -- both are outside of the Ruby team's realm.
17
18 Alex
21 Alex Legler | Gentoo Security / Ruby
22 a3li@g.o | a3li@××××××××××.de