From: Alexander Holler <holler@××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] USE flags and static libs
Date: Sat, 08 Jun 2002 08:15:56
1 Hi,
2
3 I like brainstorming. ;)
4
5 I've mentioned it before as a remark in another msg, I would find it nice
6 to have a USE flag tests mentioned in the documentation. This could inspire
7 some developers to call 'make tests' or similiar before installing if
8 something is provided by the makefile of the package.
9
10 I also want to discuss the building of static libs. Right now all or most
11 of the static libs are build with the flags from make.conf. The problem
12 with that is that this prevents building binaries (which uses them) to give
13 away (or for using on other machines). E.g. a binary build with march=i686
14 won't run on k6.
15
16 This could lead to some 'hard to find' problems if someone forgets this.
17
18 I've two aproaches to this problem:
19
20 1. Building all static libs without march flags.
21
22 2. Introduce a USE flag i386static
23 This could be used to build additional static libs with a postfix i386.
24 E.g.
25 libncurses.a and libncurses_i386.a.
26
27 I would prefer the second approach. Like the USE flag 'tests', just
28 describing it in the appropriate developer docs could be enough to get that
29 into (some) future ebuilds.
30
31 Comments?
34 Regards,