From: Michael Monsen <geSnPtAoMo@××××××××××.org>
To: gregg@××.am
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o, gentoo-user@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-user] Upgrade, course of action.
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 11:31:05
1 While visiting the prison at D'Ni on Fri, 23 Aug 2002 04:22:49 -0500
2 (CDT), "Gregg" <gregg@××.am> was overheard saying to the guard:
3
4 >I run a server, it hosts 127 websites. Has many users for various other
5 >things. It is currently on a celeron 600 overclocked to 675, with 256
6 >megs of ram. The motherboard supports celeron and pII. It is beginning
7 >to choke. It is time to upgrade the motherboard, cpu and ram. Since this
8 >is an old setup (celeron and old mobo) what do I need to do when replacing
9 >them. Everything is obviously compiled for it. I have not changed any of
10 >my flags in the configuration files. So it is all just i686 in the
11 >c*flags. I want to go up to an athlon 2200. So, what do I need to
12 >consider before switching them out, what do I need to do afterword . This
13 >is a 1.3b_test system with all the latest updates (except gcc 3.2, I am
14 >still on 3.1.1)
15
16 I'm new to the list and Gentoo, but I would think that your new Athlon
17 would run the i686 binaries without trouble at all. If I were in your
18 position I'd do the hardware upgrade and then after the upgrade, change
19 the flags to Athlon optimizations. As you upgrade packages your system
20 will slowly convert over to Athlon-specific binaries.
21
22 Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong!