From: Alex Alexander <wired@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Adding --as-needed to LDFLAGS in profiles/default/linux/make.defaults
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 08:47:21
1 On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 08:23:40AM +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 05:30:24 +0200
3 > Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o> wrote:
4 > > On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 15:05:19 +0100
5 > > Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
6 > > > You appear to be assuming that those pushing the --as-needed
7 > > > solution have it finished. This is far from the case. There's still
8 > > > a lot of work that would need to be done, and that work will have
9 > > > to be carried on by every developer indefinitely as new versions of
10 > > > packages come out. It's a case of "the wrong thing requires quite a
11 > > > lot more work before it's ready, and once it's ready everyone will
12 > > > have to carry on working on it forever".
13 > >
14 > > Why do you care? Everybody intimately involved in Exherbo and
15 > > caring about it tells me you forked.
16 >
17 > I use Gentoo, as you well know from every other time the "anyone who
18 > ever touches any other distribution is a traitor and should go away
19 > and never do anything with Gentoo again" line has been tried.
20 >
21 > I care because it's a huge waste of everyone's time that's all happened
22 > because one developer refused to admit that he was in effect advocating
23 > the use of a flag in the same category as -ffast-math, even when shown
24 > how it would break correct code.
25
26 This community has shown many times that it doesn't follow your logic.
27 You've made your point, we listened, we rejected it.
28
29 Please _try_ to understand that you *can't* force your opinion no matter
30 how many times you repeat it. There are times when the majority will
31 reach a decision you think is wrong.
32
33 If the community feels their choice, albeit not perfect, will help the
34 project, you have to respect that. That is, if you want to be part of the
35 community :)
36
37 > > If you didn't and are still leeching off our ebuild tree, then please
38 > > file --as-needed bugs like everyone else, or shut up.
39 >
40 > Exherbo doesn't and never has used Gentoo ebuilds. Again, as you know
41 > fine well.
42 >
43 > --
44 > Ciaran McCreesh
45
46 Please try to restrain yourself from commenting on topics where the
47 community has already reached a decision in the future.
48
49 Even if you don't like it ;)
52 Alex Alexander :: wired
53 Gentoo Developer