From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: rfc: revisiting our stabilization policy
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2014 13:13:12
1 On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 12:37:40 +0000
2 "Steven J. Long" <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3
4 > Please set your client not to embed people's email addresses in your
7 It's as much a spambait as it is listed in the From: header on the web
8 archives; in other words, it are the web archives that need to fix this.
9
10 Unless you want to keep spamming this sentence to everyone you talk to;
11 and/or besides that, wasting your time on changing the quote lines.
12
13 > Tom Wijsman wrote:
14 > "moves us closer to bleeding-edge" is completely useless;
15
16 It might be for you; depends, but not completely useless in general.
17
18 > there are already an immense amount of ways to run more up to date
19 > software, or you wouldn't have users already doing it. That doesn't
20 > detract from the merits of the stabilisation process, which you
21 > apparently don't get despite trumpeting your QA membership.
22 >
23 > The latter leaves me rather worried, to be frank.
24
25 For there to be a stabilization process there need to be people; and
26 thus, other solutions need to be explored. And thus some of those other
27 solutions are detracting from the merits of the stabilization process.
28
29 > > > > > I don't think that's what was being proposed, though. The
30 > > > > > question was really the old complaint about slow
31 > > > > > architectures; the "-* arch" solution sounds like the most
32 > > > > > reasonable definition of "dropping" keywords, in the absence
33 > > > > > of AT communication otherwise.
34 > > > >
35 > > > > Dropping keywords and specifying -* are a world apart of each
36 > > > > other.
37 > > >
38 > > > That's why it's in quotes.
39 > >
40 > > Why is there at all if you intend it to be irrelevant to this
41 > > thread?
42 >
43 > What? OFC it's relevant; it's just not dropping keywords, it's
44 > dropping the ebuild from most archs, and leaving it in-place for
45 > those which haven't stabilised a newer version.
46
47 Dropping a keyword or ebuild means removing it; -* is a step further
48 than that, and thus beyond the scope of this thread. It is there to
49 indicate the package does not work on that particular architecture, it
50 is a world apart from just dropping the keyword; hence it is irrelevant.
51
52 > > > > The former means that it is not ready for wide stable or testing
53 > > > > users, the latter means that it has been tested to not work at
54 > > > > all; furthermore, we need to explicitly specify which arches in
55 > > > > that case.
56 > > >
57 > > > You're missing the point, again. The question was what does
58 > > > "dropping keywords" mean, when the maintainer has stabilised a
59 > > > newer version on the arch/s s/he has available, but feels that
60 > > > slower archs are holding up that process.
61 > >
62 > > Where is that question?
63 >
64 > *sigh* Are you really saying you don't understand the point of this
65 > thread? It's yaf "slow archs are slow and i don't want them"
66 > complaint, which recur every year or so, going back at least 10,
67 > though we haven't had this for the last couple of years that I
68 > recall; Gentoo has moved pretty quickly.
69 >
70 > It comes up more from openrc, imo, since the upstream maintainer is
71 > also a Gentoo dev, who doesn't release testing (= hard-masked) ebuilds
72 > for a core system package. That's an old argument, though, and his
73 > call. I mention it simply because the QA process for that package is
74 > squashed, in comparison to its importance within the framework. Git
75 > ebuilds are not the same as distribution stabilisation.
76 >
77 > No, I'm not expecting it to change. I'm just pointing out that it's
78 > very different to the other packages in the tree (being in-house it
79 > hasn't gone through any upstream testing at all, since Gentoo is
80 > effectively the upstream), and a case could be made that in fact its
81 > QA needs better handling, rather than changing policy to the detriment
82 > of archs across the board in response to this complaint.
83
84 So, where is that question?
85
86 > > > I'm slightly at a loss as to why it's such a big deal to just
87 > > > leave the old ebuild as-is, given that anyone on a stabled arch
88 > > > should upgrade automatically.
89 > >
90 > > It is when you are running the arch that only has the old version.
91 >
92 > FGS that's up the AT and their users to collaborate on them with. It's
93 > not up to some external "developer" to tell the AT which ebuilds are
94 > stable for their arch: that's their *job*. The ebuild dev only gets to
95 > request testing, just like users only get to request a version bump.
96
97 Sometimes users get to put it in their overlay because their version
98 bump, or even a new package request, yields no succes; in the same way,
99 sometimes there are no people that fill in the *job*, hence we come to
100 the point of this thread to look into options to change it.
101
102 > > > But given that the maintainer feels they don't want that old
103 > > > ebuild around, and that the arch in question has not got round to
104 > > > testing the new one, for whatever reason (it's their call, after
105 > > > all, as to how their arch progresses), instead of simply removing
106 > > > that ebuild, or bumping it to unstable (which makes zero sense),
107 > > > just leave it stable on the slow arch/s in question, and remove
108 > > > the others.
109 > >
110 > > There are situations (security, stability, incompatibility) where
111 > > keeping it in place becomes a much harder task; at which point,
112 > > removal is bound to happen. At that point, such action is required.
113 > >
114 > > It becomes faster than you think; if you depend on a library, and
115 > > the compatible range of that library gets wiped by a security bug,
116 > > your package will suddenly depend on an incompatible newer
117 > > stabilized version of the library at which point you are up for
118 > > either a lot of hard work or plain out starting the progress of
119 > > masking and removing it.
120 >
121 > Security bugs have a separate process, as you know,
122
123 It affects the visibility of the package or its ebuilds.
124
125 > and reverse dep checking is a standard thing.
126
127 On new stabilizations, yes; those that were around for a long time, no.
128
129 > No-one said maintaining the tree is easy: that's why there's so many
130 > of you collaborating on it, rather than a team of 5. Nor that you
131 > can't mask ever: just that the standard stabilisation cycle should
132 > not involve you removing the prior stable ebuild on an arch before a
133 > newer version is stabilised.
134 >
135 > The latter becomes an issue when someone wants to remove the ebuild,
136 > for whatever reason. If you do find yourself wanting to remove the
137 > ebuild, and it's still not stable, then just remove the keywords on
138 > all archs except the specific slow ones. There must be a bug for
139 > stabilisation already, so note it there, and get on with your life
140 > without whinging. It's not your problem, it's the AT's: let them get
141 > on with it without you messing up their arch with no warning.
142
143 An AT problem can quickly become a problem on the distribution level;
144 if it weren't a problem, we'd not even get bothered or care.
145
146 For example, it causes bugs that depend on the stabilization bug to get
147 blocked; delaying progress of bugs that depend on it. There might be
148 other reasons listed in the previous thread regarding the minor arches.
149
150 > > > This seems like a rarity, but when it's an issue, people get
151 > > > annoyed on either side. The solution proposed by the ARM team,
152 > >
153 > > Where is this solution?
154 >
155 > What? Pay attention: "-* arch"
156
157 It's irrelevant to this thread. So, maybe "arch" was meant instead?
158
159 > > > seems like a simple way round, and indicates clearly to anyone
160 > > > perusing the ebuild, that a newer version needs stabling on the
161 > > > "slow" archs.
162 > >
163 > > Masking works fine for that too; what this does is make clear to the
164 > > user that (1) the current stable version has breakage for a specific
165 > > reason, (2) a newer stable version is not yet available and (3)
166 > > that the user can choose to keep the breakage or upgrade to an
167 > > unstable version.
168 >
169 > It's more work, and there's no reason for it: "-* arch" is a lot
170 > quicker, simple to do and blindingly obvious as to its intent.
171
172 But also plain wrong, see above; maybe "arch" is thus meant, but we are
173 already doing that today. The problem here isn't the other listed
174 arches, but rather the arch itself; as it blocks progress, see above.
175
176 > Note we are not talking about "breakage" for security (a separate
177 > process and team are in place for that.)
178
179 It affects the visibility, as I mentioned before.
180
181 > It indicates 1) The arch is lagging on this ebuild and 2) there is a
182 > newer ebuild which the maintainer has stabilised on other archs, so
183 > work on that if you want a newer version, and *know that the work
184 > will be much welcomed*, and 3) the user can unmask a newer ebuild
185 > should they wish to (and thus feedback for stabilisation.)
186
187 3) The newer ebuild is unmasked, this means accepting the keyword?
188
189 > It's much better metadata, easily detectable via script, in the right
190 > place: the ebuild, not a profile mask file somewhere in the stack. If
191 > we agree on it as a mechanism (and I still have not seen why not, for
192 > the case that started this thread and other standard cases) then it's
193 > trivial for portage/pkgcore to flag it in output, leading to better
194 > user feedback and the chance of quicker stabilisation.
195
196 That stack can very well be the profile directory of the arch team,
197 which is a rather good place for this metadata.
198
199 > > > By all means, raise technical objections; just not a philosophical
200 > > > one.
201 > >
202 > > Where are these philosophical objections?
203 >
204 > All over the shop. "Where is this solution"
205
206 If I tell you to "check out my solution"; then which one would that be?
207
208 I've given several through-out the thread; if you were to pick one,
209 that would merely be an assumption. Thus this is an actual question,
210 rather than something philosophical; it makes the discussion harder if
211 you refer to matters using generic keywords instead of being specific.
212
213 > "Please point out X" instead of simply reading what is in front of
214 > you
215
216 Where did I use this exact wording? It's probably for a good reason to
217 get something clarified; clarifications are natural in a discussion,
218 you can't expect other individuals to fully understand each other.
219
220 > along with digression about the nature of software, the
221 > development process and how things could be considered, but very
222 > little practical insight, IMO, resulting in frustrated responses, as
223 > usual.
224
225 What are you talking about? IMO, this misses reference, as usual.
226
227 > Again, what is so wrong with removing keywords for all archs except
228 > the ones which have not caught up and stabilised, instead of removing
229 > the ebuild? (Or indeed forcing people through the whole mask cycle
230 > without good cause.)
231
232 Nothing, it is just irrelevant to this thread; it is something we
233 already do, it doesn't address with the problem put forward in this
234 thread as well as that it forms no actual solution to the problem here.
235
236 > =
237 > I concur that "QA should be focusing on making stable, actually
238 > stable, not more bleeding edge." That's not a "performance" issue as
239 > you put it, except in management nuspeek. It's the whole bloody point
240 > of the distro, in overarching terms: to test and stabilise robust
241 > ebuilds. That process is what leads to better software, not staying
242 > at the "bleeding-edge" and forgetting about robustness since "a new
243 > version is out."
244
245 A process needs people to fulfill it.
246
247 > There's plenty of ways to stay on the bleeding-edge; throwing out the
248 > baby with the bathwater will only tip you over it, and bork the distro
249 > for the rest of us, and everyone down the line.
250
251 Why do we have the baby in the first place?
252
253 > I'm slightly worried as to the composition of the QA team now, where I
254 > wasn't before. "QA comes in to reorganize our efforts as well as
255 > policy" is over-reaching afaic.
256
257 Consider starting a new thread about the role and/or composition of the
258 QA team if that is a concern.
259
260 > But a QA team only interested in the bleeding-edge,
261
262 Where is there an implication that we are /only/ interested in that?
263
264 > or even /thinking/ that losing the stable tree will improve either
265 > quality or the distro? *shudder*
266
267 Where is there an implication where we think we /should/ lose it?
268
269 > I thought QA was a hard team to get onto, and not because it's a
270 > clique, but because it's central to the mission. Oh well.
271
272 s/QA/an arch team/
275 With kind regards,
276
277 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
278 Gentoo Developer
279
280 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
281 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
282 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D