From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Can we have process names and stdout / stderr indication to more efficiently parse build logs? (was: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: escape sequences in logs)
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2013 19:43:49
In Reply to: Can we have process names and stdout / stderr indication to more efficiently parse build logs? (was: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: escape sequences in logs) by Ulrich Mueller
1 On Tue, Sep 03, 2013 at 10:25:19AM +0200, Ulrich Mueller wrote
2
3 > Escape sequences have been designed for communication with peripheral
4 > devices, not for markup or as a storage format.
5 >
6 > Also "future colorful display" generally won't be portabe because
7 > escape sequences depend on the setting of the TERM variable. (And
8 > again, software that emits them with TERM=dumb or TERM unset is
9 > broken.)
10
11 Similar to...
12
13 USE="foo bar" emerge blah blah blah
14
15 ...can the average user do something like...
16
17 TERM="dumb" emerge blah blah blah
18
19 I don't believe very many users or admins babysit an entire 2 hour
20 "emerge --deep --update @world" session, hitting {CTRL-S} when some
21 colour pops up. In my case, I examine /var/log/portage/elog after the
22 emerge finishes, successfully or unsuccessfully. And I don't use an
23 "editor" to view log files. I use mc (Midnight Commander) which views
24 plain text, but doesn't decode ANSI. A nice feature of mc is that I can
25 sort the file list by various options. When looking at emerge output in
26 /var/log/portage/elog, I want to sort by file-modify-time, so I can
27 easily see which files were output in the most recent emerge run.
30 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
31 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications