From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Old KDE support
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 14:45:31
1 Hi all,
2
3 I want to raise the issue of supporting old versions of KDE.
4
5 I am about to add kde-2.2.2 ebuilds to cvs (2.2.2 is to be released later
6 today) and new revisions of the kde-2.2.1 ebuilds. Both sets will support
7 multi-kdelibs, which allows various combinations of kdelibs packages to be
8 used together. Unfortunately, this support isn't backward-compatible.
9
10 The question is, should I continue to support older KDEs? How old, and how
11 much support?
12
13 Support for the new multi-kdelibs and multi-qt schemes, and for the upcoming
14 new dependency specification format (portage 2?), can only be really added
15 one way - by making inheriting (eclassing) ebuilds for all versions of kde to
16 be supported. Right now only 2.2.1 (and the upcoming 2.2.2) have inheriting
17 ebuilds.
18
19 I will probably support only the latest versions (e.g. 2.2.1, 2.2.2). 2.2.0
20 can be added for completeness, since it's fairly recent and was the latest
21 KDE in the early days of rc6. Older, already installed versions will still
22 work - insofar they are currently working - but any small update, possibly
23 even the emerging of some kde apps, will demand a complete upgrade to the
24 latest qt/kde.
25
26 I could also add support for all kde versions (incl. 2.1.x). This will
27 require a lot more work and so I will only do it if enough people respond
28 here saying they have these older versions. In which case, they'll also have
29 to give their reasons for not upgrading to kde-2.2.x.
30
31 Doing this would be tedious and would require a lot more testing. I'm
32 mentioning it in the interests of fairness to the many people who (may) still
33 use older KDEs. So, speak up now or be silent forever.
34
35 If I did add such support, a user would still have to remerge all his current
36 kde. So as far as I can see there are no reasons not to upgrade.
37
38 After I test & commit the multi-kdelibs ebuilds (including some eclass
39 updates and other misc stuff), I'm considering deleting older KDE ebuilds
40 from cvs. The 2.2_beta ebuilds obviously have to go, and I'm also considering
41 deleting all but the latest 2.1.x and 2.2.x ebuilds - that is, all but
42 2.1.1/2 and 2.2.2. Again, tell me if you know of any reasons not to do so.
43
44 Once everything is settled, tested and committed, I'll post an appropriate
45 message on gentoo-announce.
49 Dan Armak
50 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team
51 Matan, Israel