From: Rumen Yotov <rumen@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Official overlay support
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 18:27:01
1 On Thursday 23 March 2006 19:16, Duncan wrote:
2 > Chris Bainbridge posted <623652d50603230447l4938aaeam@××××××××××.com>,
3 >
4 > excerpted below, on Thu, 23 Mar 2006 12:47:13 +0000:
5 > > Adding the ebuilds to overlays is one option, but
6 > > then other users will be expected to find an overlay with their
7 > > package in, and then add it to make.conf.
8 >
9 > ... This hints at something I wasn't aware of. Does it mean that portage
10 > already supports remote overlays, using them as it would a local overlay
11 > only over HTTP/FTP/RSYNC, the the appropriate URL placed in make.conf, or
12 > must the user manually sync the overlay to a local dir using whatever
13 > protocol and let portage access the overlay from there? I had assumed a
14 > separate manual sync was necessary. Was I assuming incorrectly? Can it
15 > be as simple as putting the URL in make.conf? Wouldn't that be rather
16 > resource intensive in terms of portage access to the remote server? Or
17 > was the step of acquiring a local copy of that overlay simply omitted and
18 > a reference to that local copy, not the global instance, assumed, when
19 > mentioning putting it in make.conf?
20 >
21 > --
22 > Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs.
23 > "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
24 > and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
25 > http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
26 Hi,
27 Using a remote overlays is rather simple, just do "emerge layman".
28 Read the einfo and then "man layman".
29 It works flawlessly, just tested this with one remote overlay.
30 Beside that "man layman" explains pretty much of it's innerwork.
31 PS:There's an article in "gentoo-wiki.com" with a list of overlays.
32 HTH.Rumen