From: Mikael Hallendal <hallski@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] CVS ebuild's and Portage possibilities
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 05:02:46
1 sön 2001-10-28 klockan 12.56 skrev Bart Verwilst:
2 > Hi
3 >
4 > I think an integration would, like Hallski said, bring too many work and
5 > questions to the developers. Maybe a site that holds user-built cvs ebuilds
6 > would be nice, where the user can download the cvs ebuild he wants,
7 > on his/her own risk... Ofcourse those ebuilds have a big change of being
8 > full of bugs and/or useless, because most of the incoming ebuilds have to be
9 > debugged before being placed in portage, and the ones on the site wouldn't
10 > have had a checkup at all..
11
12 Imho, this shouldn't (or at least don't have too) be a centralized
13 website. If Joshua want's to distribute E17 ebuilds he can do so from
14 his site and point people there when they ask for it.
15
16 It should be hard for users to find these ebuilds and only those that
17 know what they are doing should use them. With a central website for
18 this people will try them out just for fun and end up with a halfworking
19 system.
20
21 Also, by having them at your own site it's much better chance they will
22 be up-to-date and working better than if you post them to some central
23 site.
24
25 _IF_ we have a central site for these kind of ebuilds it should be clear
26 that it is not part of the Portage project and we shouldn't link it from
27 Gentoo website.
28
29 Regards,
30 Mikael Hallendal