From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: moving OpenRC to a meson-based build
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2017 17:26:13
On 02/01/2017 10:40 AM, William Hubbs wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 01, 2017 at 01:37:04AM +0000, Robin H. Johnson wrote: >> On Mon, Jan 30, 2017 at 02:04:06PM -0600, William Hubbs wrote: >>> As I said on the bug, the downside is the addition of py3 and ninja as >>> build time dependencies, but I think the upside (a build system where >>> we don't have to worry about parallel make issues or portability) >>> outweighs that. >> Could you please link or otherwise explain the portability issue? > > I'm not talking about a specific instance, just the flexability you get > with a build system. You let it handle the details of building > executables, linking libraries, etc. > > I have heard from more than one person that the OpenRC makefiles are > not written well, and I agree, so I've been looking for a build system > for a while. > > I thought about autotools. I'm not really fond of its syntax, and I've > been told that, to use autotools correctly, I would need to start > generating manual release tarballs again because I would need to put the > autotools generated cruft in them. > > I'm open to suggestions. I picked meson to experiment with because it > has a very nice clean syntax. > > William >
'TUP' is the fastest build system of the all? I believe many build systems leverage or imitate what TUP does. I've read that for hand crafting a specific build system, TUP is the most fundamental of the building blocks. Here are a few links, there are many for your perusal:: http://gittup.org/tup/make_vs_tup.html https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=12622097 I think TUP would really shine in a build system for embedded and otherwise constrained build environments (limited resources) but I have not vetted that theory out, as I usually lean on others with greater depth of understanding in such matters. Still, from what I read, TUP warrants monitoring as new code contributions keep moving this blazingly fast build system tool forward. hth, James