From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] making rust-bin ordered first in virtual/rust
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2022 16:52:21
1 On 1/20/2022 16:32, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jan 20, 2022 at 4:10 PM Piotr Karbowski <slashbeast@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Ideally we'd have some way to mark binary packages with new EAPI and
5 >> have FEATURES flag like 'prefer-binary' and go with -bin in case there's
6 >> || ( ) dependencies list, regardless of the original order in virtual.
7 >> This way everyone could be happy and not choose one workflow over another.
8 >
9 > Ideally we'd just have a repository of binary builds for everything
10 > with default USE flags for a few profiles, and users could choose to
11 > configure portage to just download the binary package if the flags
12 > match, and of course this could be overridden per-package. Then there
13 > would be no need for -bin anything. We have to maintain half of that
14 > for the stage builds anyway.
15 >
16 [snip]
17
18 I've learned from running FreeBSD on some of my network equipment that this
19 is the path they take. They have flags called USES on their Ports system,
20 and for binary packages, defaults are selected and used for building binary
21 packages. In a handful of cases, such as mtr, they'll offer both an
22 X11-enabled version as well as a non-X11 version of the binpkg. For all
23 other cases, it's fairly straight forward to build a few packages yourself
24 via Ports with your own USES selections. E.g., I don't need python support
25 in bind-tools, so I build that one on my appliances myself to reduce the
26 required dependencies that need to be installed.
29 Joshua Kinard
30 Gentoo/MIPS
31 kumba@g.o
32 rsa6144/5C63F4E3F5C6C943 2015-04-27
33 177C 1972 1FB8 F254 BAD0 3E72 5C63 F4E3 F5C6 C943
34
35 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And
36 our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
37
38 --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic