From: Mamoru KOMACHI <usata@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] better handling of multibyte characters (nls/cjk/unicode)
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 14:10:15
1 At Thu, 30 Oct 2003 13:41:51 +0100,
2 Spider wrote:
3
4 > unicode, or utf-8 ?
5
6 I personally vote for unicode, but if it is going to be enabled by
7 default (i.e. Gentoo support UTF-8 immediately after installation),
8 utf8 seems adequate rather than unicode. I just don't want to add
9 utf7, utf16, utf32 USE flags for each encoding but have unicode USE
10 flag which will support Unicode encodings (if any).
11
12 > There ought to be some magic to convert locales to utf-8 as well if
13 > this is enabled.
14
15 Even if the USE flag is enabled by default, it doesn't take any effect
16 unless each ebuild actually uses the USE flag. It may break wxGTK
17 related ebuilds as darkspecter suggested (thanks for the comment) and
18 I'm thinking that it isn't time to make the USE flag default yet
19 (liquidx is working on getting UTF-8 down on Gentoo system). Anyhow,
20 creating unicode/utf8 USE flag and making it default are two different
21 matters and we can discuss them separately.
24 Mamoru KOMACHI <usata@g.o>
25 http://www.gentoo.org/~usata/
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list