From: Dylan Carlson <absinthe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: zhen@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] x86 2004.2 Profile
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 18:13:22
1 On Friday 09 July 2004 1:15 pm, John Davis wrote:
2 > But at this point in time, Gentoo is *not* an Enterprise system.
3 > Packages have zero consistency between releases (even between weeks).
4 > Creating a whole new profile and then going through the hoops
5 > (documentation and user support) to get them all to switch over to the
6 > new profile far outweighs the benefit .. especially for (basically) one
7 > package!
8
9 1/ Saying that Gentoo isn't an enterprise system isn't doing anything to
10 solve the problem. The fact remains we should be doing new profiles on a
11 regular basis, and finding out what we need to get that done.
12
13 2/ Package inconsistency is more justification for new profiles. We have
14 had discussions earlier about separate branches in CVS, pinned packages in
15 profiles, etc. Also see GLEP19. This is not even something that is
16 Enterprise-specific, that's good QA. We shouldn't even have profiles at
17 all if we don't use them.
18
19 3/ Users should be able to settle into a profile for while, and only get
20 occasional updates associated with security fixes and major bugs.
21 Besides, it makes less sense for us to have old profiles that are moving
22 targets -- the support overhead is greater juggling multiple profiles that
23 are always changing, than freezing the old ones and focusing primarily on
24 adding/updating packages in the upcoming release/profile. They should be
25 more or less frozen, so that we know a certain combination of packages
26 *works* beyond any reasonable doubt.
27
28 We can't be having bikeshed debates in -dev forever. We've only had a
29 general consensus that, yes we need some kind of Enterprise Gentoo...
30 overlooking the fact that everyday users also need some kind of
31 predictable release process and profiling.
32
33 Yes, we'd need more people, and to some extent, more red tape. This has
34 been an on-going discussion since even before I became a dev (2002) -- and
35 we're no closer to implementing anything.
36
37 xorg is a significant change. Ideally we'd be rolling up a number of
38 significant changes into a new profile, and freezing the old one out.
39 We're not there yet, but it's no reason to not try.
42 > The problem of consistency is far beyond the xfree/ xorg switch. Why put
43 > all of the effort into one package when we don't have more important
44 > things, like our toolchain, stabilized between releases?
45
46 You know, there are a group of people working on toolchain. If the
47 toolchain herd needs help to make things stable, they should get more
48 people. That needs to go to devrel and they need to scale. That issue
49 is independent of QA/Release Management/profiles/etc.
50
51 Cheers,
52 Dylan Carlson [absinthe@g.o]
53 Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x708E165F