From: Stroller <root@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] OT: Re: Nano. WAS: install CD bloat
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 16:58:24
1 On Thursday, 21 August 2003, at 7:30 am, Jon Portnoy wrote:
2 >
3 > In summary, nano is easy for the new user, has advanced features... is
4 > similar to pico in terms of useability, is free software,
5 > is small, etc.
6
7 This is blatantly OT, but amongst nano's advanced features, is there a
8 shortcut to delete the last word..? I don't see it mentioned in the FAQ
9 or the man page at the GNU site.
10
11 ISTR this function is ^w in vi, and I was very surprised to be unable
12 to find an equivalent in nano when I installed Gentoo. At the end of
13 the day I have low requirements of a text editor, and multiple
14 backspaces suffice me. Indeed, I never bothered learning vi properly in
15 the first place - I only ever used it in my previous distro because it
16 was "thrust" upon me when migrating to Linux / Unix, and initially
17 found it much harder to use than Windows notepad. At the end of the
18 day, for a new user nano is not so bad.
19
20 Stroller.
24 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list