From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] QA Roles v2
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 15:19:52
1 Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > On Saturday 04 March 2006 15:45, Danny van Dyk wrote:
3 >
4 >>Just to throw in my 2 cents into this discussion: I'm all against
5 >>die-ing during the update process. However, i think that stopping
6 >>before the update process would be the best solution at hand. I'd like
7 >>to propose the addition of a dedicated USE conflict detection to
8 >>ebuilds which need it.
11 > Perhaps it would be possible to tell portage to have a
12 > "build-what-you-can" mode, where it tries to build as much as possible
13 > after a compilation failure. At the end it then can report on the
14 > packages that were not compiled.
17 We've had a bug for this for years, no one has implemented it.
18
19 Most of the Portage developers would prefer USE-deps to anything else,
20 as this is what that is really trying to cover. The only alternative
21 I'm willing to support at this time is moving the death ( per
22 Kugelfang's suggestion ) to right after depgraph building. Thus a user
23 will find out right away that their USE flags conflict and need to be
24 changed. Even with USE deps, there cases that just aren't resolvable,
25 they are "unsolveable" and I think coming up with some sort of structure
26 to inform the user of this is a good idea.
27
28 However we have talked about this and the DEPEND syntax doesn't seem to
29 cut it for showing USE conflicts and dependencies. Certainly right now
30 the resolver has no metadata whatsoever to work with, so it can't even
31 tell if a specific set of USE flags conflict or not, if we provide it
32 with that information it can at least die during depgraph creation
33 stating what the problem is with the depgraph ( getting closer to having
34 actaul buildplans... ).
35
36 -Alec Warner
37 --