From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: mabi@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: eblits.eclass
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 04:35:12
1 On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 12:06:17AM +0200, Matti Bickel wrote:
2 > I propose to add eblits.eclass[2] (attached to this message) with the
3 > purpose and author comments from [1].
4
5 Counter proposal; finish off the remaining steps of elib related steps
6 from glep33 and integrate it into an EAPI.
9 > So please enlighten me of any problems you can think of that adding
10 > eblits.eclass as proposed above would cause. I'd be more than happy if
11 > we can get an update on elibs progress, too.
12
13 Please note that FILESDIR access isn't guranteed during metadata
14 sourcing- pkgcore specifically does _not_ set that var to catch ebuild
15 screwups. This is why mips-sources has their eblits loadup w/in
16 pkg_setup.
17
18 Honestly I'm not much for turning down this particularly pkgcore
19 protection since it's caught some screwy access in the past. The
20 problem here is your eblit-php-metadata function- the function is
21 executed in the global scope which means it will be validly blocked
22 under pkgcore.
23
24 Please flip through glep33- the usage of eblits doesn't match their
25 original intention there, the intention was to move non metadata
26 functionality into libraries to be loaded up after sourcing.
27 Basically a compliment to eclasses. However you're using eblits for
28 metadata purposes which is contrary to that intention.
29
30 > As the need for such an eclass is very real (we really, really want
31 > php-5.3 in the tree!), I want to limit discussion to one week, ending
32 > April 18th. If there are no objections, I'll add the eclass after that date.
33
34 In looking through your usage of eblits, I'm not actually seeing any
35 reason this technique *must* be used. Could you please clarify if
36 there is some edge case I'm missing requiring eblits?
37
38 The reason I ask is that I'd rather see elibs resurrected/finished
39 (I'll do the work if no one else will) than have the eblits hackery
40 used.
41
42 ~harring