From: "Sven Köhler" <skoehler@×××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: where goes Gentoo?
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 18:53:51
1 >>>In my humble opinion, Gentoo is missing too many points to be an
2 >>>enterprise Linux. We commit to a live tree. We don't have true QA,
3 >>>testing or tinderbox. We don't have paid staff, alpha/beta/rc cycles.
4 >>>We don't really have product lifecycles, since we don't generally
5 >>>backport fixes to older versions, requiring instead for people to
6 >>>update to a more recent release. We don't have, and probably will
7 >>>never be able to offer, support contracts. We support as wide a range
8 >>>of hardware as the upstream kernel, plus hardware that requires
9 >>>external drivers; we don't have access to a great deal of the hardware
10 >>>for which we provide drivers. We understand when real life gets in
11 >>>the way of bug-fixing, because all our developers are volunteers.
12 >>
13 >>QA is a problem. Bugs get fixed, but often they are only fixed in ~x86
14 >>versions, not in the stable x86 series. For example baselayout: there
15 >>are lot of ~x86 - miles ahead of that is marked x86. Maintainers think,
16 >>it's sufficient to only fix the most recent version. How do they
17 >>legitimate that?
18 >
19 > This one is easy. A stable package's ebuild should not change. Period.
20
21 I agree with you there - though sometimes, stable ebuilds are changed -
22 even without changing the version-number.
23
24 > To "fix" the stable version, means that a new revision of the latest
25 > stable version would need to be made, and that revision would need to be
26 > tested, before it would go to stable. The only real exception to this
27 > is security bugs. Also, in many cases, the bug in question requires
28 > changes that are simply not feasible easily in the current stable
29 > version, but quite easy in the latest version. It really boils down to
30 > this: If you're having an issue with a package in Gentoo and it is
31 > fixed in the latest ~arch version, then you should *use* the ~arch
32 > version (remember, it doesn't mean "unstable" it means "testing") and
33 > you should report back to the maintainers that this is working for you
34 > so that they can get it moved into stable quicker. We don't have the
35 > staff or the time to backport every fix to every stable version.
36 > Remember that in many cases the "latest stable" version varies between
37 > architectures.
38
39 I chose baselayout for a particular reason. There is baselayout 1.9,
40 1.11 and 1.12. (i think there was 1.10 too - some time ago - perhaps)
41
42 I i reported bugs - as usual - but the bug was fixed for 1.11 or 1.12 (i
43 can't remeber, it was about a year ago). The problem: the fix was not
44 backported to 1.9 (which was stable at that time). Since baselayout is a
45 very important part of Gentoo, i didn't think that it would be a good
46 idea, to upgrade my x86-version 1.9 to a ~x86-version 1.11. So i would
47 have expected that such changes would go into a new 1.9-version which
48 could have become stable after some testing - but they didn't. So
49 patches the scripts manually - well, and easy task, although i had to
50 pay attention so they my changes weren't overwritten.