From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] mac/xmms-mac licence issue
Date: Sun, 25 Dec 2005 03:31:38
1 On Sat, Dec 24, 2005 at 07:17:05PM -0800, Bret Towe wrote:
2 > On 12/24/05, Carsten Lohrke <carlo@g.o> wrote:
3 > > This isn't politics, but copyright infringement on top of a ridiculous license
4 > > (when you want to see it as one) we had a short discussion¹ about several
5 > > months ago.
6 >
7 > im sorry i fail to see how copyright infringement or a ridiculous licence
8 > matters when commiting a ebuild to portage just pick a licence if thats the
9 > issue warn the user and leave it at that
10
11 The new package uses the source of the original; we knowingly
12 package/ship that, we're infringing on the copyright.
13
14 Say I commit it, and the original author comes back with an army of
15 lawers.
16
17 They sue my ass, and whoever they can think of (money is a wonderful
18 thing, no?).
19
20 That's why it matters. We get nailed, users too can get nailed.
21
22 Re-read my email. If I didn't make it clear, I'll try and clarify it-
23 the new package is *knowingly* violating the license, and we've
24 already got enough info sitting in bugs.g.o that it's documented we
25 would knowingly be violating the license if we went forward with it.
26
27 Hell, if the new package has modified the original source in anyway,
28 it's already in violation of the license for not contributing the
29 changes upstream.
30
31 Either way, it's not going to happen without one of the 2 routes I
32 mentioned in my previous email occuring.
33
34 Yes, it would be nice having it in the tree, but the original author
35 really shot themselves in the foot via the license they choose- we're
36 stuck operating within those confines, thus we're boned (as are
37 users).
38
39 ~harring