From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: guru@g.o, guru-devs@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Continuous integration on GURU
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2021 13:03:33
1 On Thu, 2021-04-22 at 14:39 +0200, Agostino Sarubbo wrote:
2 > On giovedì 22 aprile 2021 12:02:20 CEST Michał Górny wrote:
3 > > Well, I suppose scanning the dev branch would be preferable over
4 > > the master branch. In reality, they are usually only a few hours apart
5 > > but it might be useful to know of new breakage in dev before it's merged
6 > > to master.
7 > >
8 > > It would be ideal if you could do a switch when master and dev are
9 > > in sync, and just copy the state from master.
10 >
11 > Hi,
12 >
13 > I think that your approach could be generally valid but for this use case I'm
14 > against because of the following:
15 >
16 > 1) The approach is valid in cases like our github PRs and the bot that
17 > approves the commit. In this case, who moves the commit between branches does
18 > not know if the scan has been done or not.
19 >
20 > 2) I don't see the reason to scan against something that we don't know if will
21 > be the same in master branch
22 >
23 > 3) We are not doing a similar approach for ::gentoo so I don't see why do this
24 > for GURU since, after all, it is an overlay
25 >
26 > 4) Packages in master are supposed to be tested at least from 2 different
27 > people (who made the commit in dev and who moves the commit to master) so it
28 > means less bugspam
31 This is not how GURU works. The dev->master merges are always fast-
32 forward, and are only reviewed to prevent malicious actions.
35 Best regards,
36 Michał Górny