From: Gontran <gontran@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] redoing djbdns
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 18:16:16
1 * Thilo Bangert (thilo.bangert@×××.net) wrote:
2 > > quite done. I was thinking of reworking the setup function in the
3 > > init script to be generic and reasonably interactive such that one
4 > > could run /etc/init.d/djbdns setup
5 >
6 > this sounds good, i just don't know what the gentoo postition is on
7 > having a setup routine in the startup script...
8
9 This was how the djbdns init script used to work for rc4, but as you say,
10 that was some time ago. Turns out /sbin/runscript has restrictions, so
11 maybe we could have it be a bash script in the files dir.
12
13 Actually, this could solve the problem of the different configurtaion
14 issues for the wide functionality provided by djbdns. Have a different
15 setup script for each type of service! That would be smooth.
18 > does the rc-update script support setup routines? so that if you run
19 > % rc-update add dnscache default
20 > for the first time, the setup routine is started...
21 >
22 > IMHO this would be the right thing to do
23
24 That would be seamless, however, I'm not interested in hacking rc-update
25 or depscan.sh right now. :). We could, alternatively, put a notification
26 in the ebuild instructing the user to run
27 /usr/portage/net-misc/djbdns/files/dnscache-setup, or install it somewhere.
28 That way automatic configuration is strictly optional.
29
30 > i am not sure - i think as soon as somebody makes binary packages
31 > from these ebuilds it would be a license violation - but i am by no
32
33 I believe that's the case.
34
35 > > Shall we work on this in tandem?
36 >
37 > yes - that'd be great
38
39 OK! I'll attaching to you privately what I've got so far.
42 Gontran